Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Credit where credit is due



So I know that you are looking at this picture wondering what the heck I am I trying to show. Well, if you look closely at the picture, right in front of the tree is my jogging path. Yep, thats right. I run in my back yard. I have always wanted to be a runner, but even as a kid I could not run. I have asthma and my lungs would always explode when I tried to run for very long. With having three kids in three years I have put on ALOT of weight and I was determined to lose it. I have been working out six days a week and watching my calories, but to no evail. I always gain weight while I breastfeed, but this time I have gained more than usual. I dont know if it is the birth control or what, but I have been desperate to lose pounds. One of my friends that I went through college with has a blog that really inspired me. She was trying to lose weight after her last baby and she wrote all about it. She then told me about a program called Couch potato to runner (http://www.ehow.com/how_2091340_couch-potato-runner-short-weeks.html). I decided to try it because I had been looking for a way to build up my lungs. The first week all I had to do was walk for five minutes to warm up. Then I ran for 60 seconds and walked for 90. I did that six times. By the last couple of times running for 60 seconds killed me. I could barely breathe and I was dry heaving. No, I am not out of shape. I can walk on the elliptical at the highest level for 45 + minutes without really hurting. I was so embarrased that I couldnt run for 60 seconds. I decided that in order for this to be a success I had to run where people couldn't see me. OUr back yard is huge so I created my own track around the perimeter. That way when Vance is gone I can bring the boys out with me and Mik can watch Izzy. I am sure I am a sight to see. I am already large chested, but with breast feeding I am enormous. When I started out I had to hold my chest or it would hurt. Then I found good sports bras and it was better. I am proud to say that today I ran for 60 MINUTES without stopping. It is hard to believe that only seven weeks ago I ran for the first time and was DYING running for 60 seconds. It has not been easy. I had to decide that I could not use any excuse to quit. I have five people that without them I never would have accomplished this. My friend Jen is the one that inspired me with her example and by sharing her workout program. Vance and Mikayla have watched Izzy while I was running. I think they also have been my biggest cheerleaders. My friend Lora and my mom also have helped me so much because they keep calling me to see how far I ran and cheering me on. My next goal is to run a 5k. Lora, I expect you to do it with me! Vance and Mik, you too. Thanks for all the support!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I tried that once! I got to the walk 1 run 2 and that was about all I oculd ever do. I could never get the 60! It is so great for you to do that! I hope it helps because I know how hard it is working out and trying and nothing happens. I have those lovely genes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!!!!!!!! You totally rock. If you can run an hour you could run a 10K!! Tell me the constraints and I'll find us a race. {You know, Sat, before Oct, in SLC--that kind of thing.} Don't expect me to keep up with you, though I'll gladly join you at the finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! How very exciting! I've got a month left of my pregnancy so in a few months I'll have to start over with it. Way to go with sticking with it! Now I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete